Now that you understand the difference between Occurrence and Claims-made coverage, you may be interested in pursuing an Occurrence policy. It might be a better coverage option for the following reasons:
- By choosing Occurrence now, you can eliminate an unknown, likely future tail cost that may fluctuate.
- Occurrence coverage gives you the flexibility to practice when, where and how you want by providing coverage during life's changes and transitions (relocation, sabbatical, maternity/paternity leave, etc.).
- If you are considering selling to a hospital, having Occurrence coverage can help simplify negotiations by removing any tail costs from the equation.
- MedPro Group's convert to Occurrence products feature a discounted tail premium. Plus, MedPro offers interest-free installments in certain states to qualified policyholders.
- You can reduce or eliminate unfunded liability on the corporate or physician's individual balance sheet.
Switching to Occurrence
If you are interested in MedPro's Occurrence product, making the change is easy. On the day you switch, we will issue a tail policy covering all of your Claims-made policy years back to your retroactive date with the same limit you currently have in place. On the same day, MedPro will issue your go-forward Occurrence policy.
The Calculator is not a rate quote. It is an educational tool designed to help you learn about the price of insurance coverage and the various costs you may want to consider when selecting your policy type and limits. The information provided is not intended to recommend specific insurance coverage, as it is up to you to evaluate and choose the coverage and limits that most accurately protect you. The rates displayed in The Calculator are general in nature and may not be available in all situations. The rates assume that Claims-made policyholders will need to purchase tail coverage. Please also note that this educational tool does not present every coverage option available for each state and situation. MedPro Group is the marketing name used to refer to the insurance operations of The Medical Protective Company, Princeton Insurance Company, PLICO, Inc. and MedPro RRG Risk Retention Group. All insurance products are underwritten and administered by these and other Berkshire Hathaway affiliates. Product availability is based upon business and regulatory approval and may differ among companies. Visit medpro.com/affiliates for more information.